Wednesday, July 07, 2004

endless summer

Two days after the 4th. I have spent these past few days in Charleston with my sisters. Jocelyn is showing. Amazingly a child is growing in her tummy. For me, the miricle of child birth never really hit me until it occured to one close to me. I must say I am truely amazed about what is going on inside of Jocelyn.
I spent my last 3 nights in Sara's appartment. Her apartment on King st. is perfectly located. In the mornings I get up, step outside onto king street and begin my daily run. At nights I walk a block and a half down King to Starbucks. Beautiful-
So I want to wrap up my last 3 days in London for my sake...
Wed. To celebrate humpday, we made a visit to the Tower of London. The tower was kind of expensive but we were able to see the crown jewels, the largest diamond (around 256 karats) in the world, the largest armour ever discovered, the tower green where many beheadings took place (Henry VIII had 2 of his wives beheaded) ect. Afterward we went to the British Museum. This is the world's oldest museum. Here we saw part of the sphinx, the head of Rameses II, and my favorite... the Rosetta Stone. This stone was contained a decree written on it in 196 BC by egyption priests. The decree was written in greek and egyption and therefore allowed men studying egyption hieroglyphics to decipher the signs. This stone was found in 1799. That night we found a pub in Kinsington to watch Portugal defeat Holand in the Euro semifinals.
Thurs. This was Brian and Erins last day. All we had left to check off our todo list was the National Gallery @ Trafalgar Square. I really enjoyed all of the Monet and Renoir pieces. Perhaps the most famous piece here was "Virgin and Child" by Leonardo da Venci. It was placed in a bullet proof glass case. My favorite was a picture titled "The Ambassadors" by Hans Holbein. This picture was full of symbols and hidden meaning. I could have stared at it for hours trying to figure it out. We spent more time at Covent Garden. We watched increadible street entertainers perform at the central market piazza. At night some girls in Jeffs dad's class got us all invitations for this really modern nightclub called "Cafe de Paris." It was definitely the coolest club i have ever been to. The people there were just so interesting.
Fri. I wandered into the ultra cool area that i hadnt come across. This area was called Carnaby and it was like a 2 street entertainment/shopping area. The stores & cafes were super cool. My mission today was to find the most ultimately awesome pair of trainers. I actually found them in a store in Carnaby. They are a retro pair of nikes. I didnt buy them their because i thought maybe i would find them cheaper in the states. Well they are only released to Europe so i will have to purchase them online.
I could really live in London. I love everything this city has to offer. I found out on the flight home that London is the most populated city in Europe. I would never have guessed that. I was never intimidated or overwhelmed in the city. I loved that the buildings hardly ever rose above 5 or 6 stories. This made for great views and sunlight.
God definitely blessed me with this past month's travels. I was able to see him and the works of his hands across the earth and I am truely amazed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home