Thursday, June 03, 2004

holes to heaven

I ran parameter road (5K) today in 22:44 which is the best i have run it in the past few weeks. The heat and humidity make it really difficult to breath well while running.
I got a fcuk (french connection of the United Kingdom) catalog in the mail today which really excites me. ha. For one it was shipped with Great Britain postage and two, while its written in english some words are spelled different that they are usually spelled in America. For instance colors is spelled colours in the catalog. I have never received mail from the UK so this is new to me.
I have mastered the art of ankle tapeing. There really is an art to ankle tapeing, because my first attempt was a disaster. There are eight steps involved and I will be tested tommorrow morning on it. This is my final exam for my athletic leadership course.
When I played football in highschool for DHS, I became captain of the team my senior year. Well, our big rivalry was Marion High. Before each game, the team captains had to walk on the field for the coin toss. I knew of the captains for Marion because I was dating a girl from Marion at the time. He was a white guy by the name of Ira Harper. For one, it was odd to see two white football captains on the field at the same time, and two, it created even more of a tense situation because he was part of the "in white crowd" in Marion.(politically correct?) So of course my Dillon friends were viscously on my side as the Marion kids were on the Marion (Ira's) side. We all knew each other or at least knew of each other because of parties that we would all go to in Marion or Dillon and what not. So the highschool kids in my crowd would really get pumped for the Dillon v/s Marion game. We (Dillon) had done really well during the season prior to this game winning all the games we had played. Marion had too, so the conference champioship was to be determined by the winner of this game. We lost to Marion in this game. I remember losing by just a few points in the final minutes of the game. Well, we went on the the playoffs as did Marion. We each one our first three playoff games and were to play each other for the lower state championship. This game was a HUGE game and the fans were unlike any I have ever seen for a highschool game. Marion was determined to beat us again and go to the State Championship which would be played the following Sat. @ Williams Brice stadium in Columbia. We were here for revenge. I walked on the field before the game as always for the coin toss and shake Ira's hand. I really was sooo pumped up for this game. Of my four years playing varsity football for DHS, this game was more exciting than any other. While on the field, I could see all of my friends cheering me on and the glazed looks from my friends of Marion. We were predicted to lose by a few points. This game was played in Marion so their crowd was extremely rowdy; but that night we came to play. We won that night getting our revenge on Marion and by winning this game we went on to play for the State Championship @ the USC stadium. So here is the irony in all of this. The following year, I began my freshman year at Clemson Univ. I walked into my first chem. lab of the year. As I sat down, Ira Harper comes in and grabs the seat next to me. We had never really talked before but knew of each other really well, and definitely remembered the two big games we stood head to head. Well out of the 1000's of students taking chemestry, Ira and I became lab partners. Throughout the semester Ira and me became really good friends and have had a cool relationship these past 4 years. If we ever see one another on campus or out at night we always talk and catch up. I saw Ira in Fike today which is the reason for this paragraph which turned into pretty long flashback story.
I am heading to Charleston for the weekend to visit my sister, Sara Bryant, who has an appt on King St. My older sister, Jocelyn, is also in charleston studing for th Boards which she must pass in order to continue her final two years of medical school. I will hopefully get to see her a little, maybe grab lunch or dinner with her and play with the dogs. I absolutely love being in Charleston, especially when I will step out the front door onto King Street. I have been blessed with two truely amazing sisters.
Tuesday (6-8) is my flight to NYC. I will then drive ~1000 miles home to Dillon. Thursday (6-10) is my flight from Atlanta to London, which will then fly to Nairobi, Kenya. To me, this is what life is all about. I can truely see God's hands at work as I travel to far away places. I always stand amazed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home