Sunday, June 06, 2004

The Belmont Stakes

I am @ Jocelyn (my sister) & Ben Renfrow's house in Charlston, SC. It is Sunday and i have been @ Murrels Inlet since Friday (6-4). My grandparents have a house on the inlet. Last night my grandparents have a couple they are friends with that also live on the inlet a few miles down. The couple had a little drop in for the Belmont Stakes. About 4 or 5 other couples stopped by to mingle and watch the race. Before the race, the host of the party decided to have a gamble with the race in which we would bet money on the winners of the race. The idea was to auction off each horse one by one. By placeing the highest bid on a horse would entitle the winner to that horse. If that horse won 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place the person who won the right to that horse would get a money prize from the pot. We started the bidding on the horses least likely to win. Mom won the auction for the worst horse Caymin (something like that). She started the bidding at $1, then someone raised her bid to $2 and mom came back and bid $3. Noone else wanted the horse bad enough to bid any higher. So each of the 9 horses were auctioned off. I won one of the lower ranked horses @ $5 simply because I didn't have too much money to buy a better horse. My grandma won the 2nd most likely horse to win the race, Purge, @ $25. Smarty Jones was auctioned off to the lady host of the party for $45. The pot ended up being $100. After all the horses were auctioned off, we waited for the race to begin. Well the Belmont race began with Smarty taking the lead and leaving the rest behind, including my horse. I watched my jockey and horse fall behind early and I was sure I wasnt going to place. I was sure Smarty had this race by a longshot and have the Triple Crown. Well about turn three, I recognized my jocky in light blue and my horse come into the picture. My horse was far behind the leading 3 but was gaining and gaining quickly. My horse caught up the the horse in 3rd place the passed the 2nd place horse. With a few yards left my horse passed Smarty Jones for the Bemont Stakes victory. I had won the auction for Birdstone with a winning bid of $5. In winning the race, I earned $60 for the $100 pot! I was so happy but felt a little nervous for taking all of this money from these poor old couples. I now know what i am supposed to do with the rest of my life... Gamble on horse races.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Billy, first you kiss old ladies, now u take their money....what am I going to do with you.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home